Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum

Views expressed on this forum are most definitely NOT
the views of Lowestoft Town Football Club.

LTFC Website HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FA Cup 1QR; Leighton Town (H) 07/09/2019 (Read 735 times)
Jimbo
Topic Starter Topic Starter

Lowestoft
FA Cup 1QR; Leighton Town (H) 07/09/2019
6th Sep, 2019 at 7:38am

This Saturday sees the start of another FA cup campaign as The Trawlerboys welcome Leighton Town (Leighton Buzzard) of the step 5 Spartan South Midlands Premier Division in the first qualifying round. Our visitors are currently sit 19th in that league with 1 point from their first three games . As far as I can find out, there has certainly been no league encounter between the two teams and nothing as far as I can see between the two teams in any previous FA Vase competitions. Leighton progressed to this round after a giant killing of step 4 Thame Utd last Tuesday evening.

Spartan South Midlands Premier Division;  
https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/divisions/24/

Club History; https://www.leightontownfc.co.uk/a/club-history-57084.html

wiki; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leighton_Town_F.C.

The Trawlerboys will be keen to end a run of three defeats, which have seen 10 goals conceded in the process and embark on a much more successful cup campaign than last season which began well with a win at Ware Town but defeat followed in the next. Obviously there is the matter of the £4500 prize money too.

The Trawlerboys on paper will be favourites but this is the cup, the rule book for that often gets torn up as we've found out in the past so there is no place for complacency in the dressing room or in the stands. Hope  to see a good crowd turn out as attendances take a dip for 'all-pay' games, not sure why. The visitors are bring a sold out coach so expect to see some visiting fans and the usual Crown Meadow welcome awaits.

Come on you blues!! ⚽🏆
« Last Edit: 6th Sep, 2019 at 1:35pm by Ronsdog »  

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Re: FA Cup 1QR; Leighton Town (H) 07/09/2019
Reply #1 - 6th Sep, 2019 at 9:53am

Rumour has it that Plumstead Blue will be in attendance so expect a ball out of the ground sweep and maybe a player rating index😄‼️

At best a pessimist is invariably proved correct, at worst he is pleasantly surprised...........😉

IP Logged

ian t
Forum Moderator

Come On The Blues

lowestoft
Reply #2 - 6th Sep, 2019 at 3:56pm

remember histon , all looked in our favour until the ref blew the first whistle !
big game, the money makes it vital.
come on you blues

IP Logged

Plumstead Blue
Forum Admin

A Professional (small
minded) Idiot

Reply #3 - 6th Sep, 2019 at 6:57pm

I happen to be in the locale on a buying spree and nothing will give me more pleasure than witnessing a classic 5-4 FA Cup match (that's the score - not the odds).

This match will not finish 0-0 and is worth a tank of juice to see us progress (we have some right dodgy away matches that are scunners to get to).

I'll happily run the BOTG sweep - Tickets can have 1st dibs.

“Any fool can use a computer. Many do.”

IP Logged

Uncle Albert

LTFC Supporter

Reply #4 - 7th Sep, 2019 at 8:02am

I think you will find that Thame Unt play a league below Leighton in the South Midlands first division.

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #5 - 7th Sep, 2019 at 8:21am

Uncle Albert wrote on 7th Sep, 2019 at 8:02am:
I think you will find that Thame Unt play a league below Leighton in the South Midlands first division.

They play a league below us in the step 4 Southern - central division, all these divisions do get so confusing!

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/southern-football-league-division-one-central

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #6 - 7th Sep, 2019 at 10:14am

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #7 - 7th Sep, 2019 at 6:54pm

FT Lowestoft Town 2-0 Leighton Town. Att 388

After a frustrating first half where the home side huffed and puffed into the cool north west breeze and couldn't find the net despite a number of good chances. The second half saw the Trawlerboys emerged calm and composed for the second half with goals from Linton and Cole to ensure safe passage into the second qualifying round. Overall town had the vast majority of the chances but just couldn't that clinical finish difficult against a hardworking Leighton side and a whistle happy referee.

Credit to the visitors who absorbed a lot of pressure and defended in numbers but were undone by the dismissal of their captain for two bookings and never really recovered from that loss. Lowestoft looked the more tall and experienced side with some good passing once the ball was kept on the grass.

I'll await the verdicts and match reports of others present on this thread!

IP Logged

Plumstead Blue
Forum Admin

A Professional (small
minded) Idiot

Reply #8 - 7th Sep, 2019 at 7:25pm

The day started well with the car being filled with a large quantity of lamp shades (4 dozen) and 2 large boxes of Victorian oil lamp shades and flutes. A dozen kippers from the local smokehouse and a fine serving of fish and chips set up the day perfectly.

The first half was a fairly drab affair with only 3 clear-cut chances. Two of them falling to the visitors who really should have scored one. Our effort was a prod from 12 yards out by Linton that hit the inside of the post and agonisingly trickled along the goal line before being hacked clear.

The second half against 10 men, while not a stroll, was comfortable with the Leighton keeper making a number of fantastic saves to keep the score to just two.

Our goals were simple. A neat run and cut along the 6 yard line by Jake left Linton with a tap-in at the back post from a few yards out. The second was a customary Travis header at the back post that squeezed into the bottom corner and was unstoppable. Leighton, to their credit never gave up, but their substitutes were just young lads and the match finished a game of men against boys.

The ref - I didn't actually think he had a bad game and seemed to call everything as I saw it. He tried to let the match flow and did play the odd advantage. In all FA Cup matched there is a referee assessor in attendance, so he's got to play it 'by the book' or he'll get marked down. The stand-side lino called one wrong in the first half as a) Jake wasn't in an offside position and b) the ball was knocked through by a Leighton player. No harm done in the end.

The wife who was in attendance and whose knowledge of the wonderful game is bordering just above nowt commented "That was an easy game for the Lowestoft goalkeeper" - I'm going to credit her with another ounce of kudos.

A decent day and good to see some old familiar faces - and 4 drinks for a £10 note in the clubhouse is an absolute steal.

A more than healthy 9 BotG - A real pisser, as I had 8 and the last effort was the last meaningful kick of the match in stoppage time. No winner.

“Any fool can use a computer. Many do.”

IP Logged

ian t
Forum Moderator

Come On The Blues

lowestoft
Reply #9 - 7th Sep, 2019 at 7:27pm

good news £4500 in the kitty, a clean sheet , a win and another goalscorer on the books .
It turned out alright in the end although until their skipper trudged off there was not much to choose between the two, Jake was starting to get on top of his markers and the scares at our end faded after the visitors were down to ten.
It still took is a long long time to finally hit the net after blocks, posts and luck had kept us at bay.
As usual the busy schedule of august has taken its toll  and when the cups come around we are always threadbare, but at least the attitude was good , the application improved as they game wore on and a much needed confidence boost with an important league game at home next Saturday.
There is plenty to improve on that's obvious and will always be the case at this level , so no need for me to pick on anyone .
Player wise , Kyle did well after the opening half hour adding some neat link ups , Travis at set pieces proves height is not as important as desire and ability another threat to utilise.
Jake would still be my standout, no shooting boots or luck in front of goal today but boy did he get through some graft, what an example for young Malachi ( or is it  malarkey ).
380 in is pretty good, some bodies back for  a win next week with a favourable cup draw and the autumn will look so much more positive.

IP Logged

Uncle Albert

LTFC Supporter

Reply #10 - 8th Sep, 2019 at 6:32am

Not a particularly inspiring performance from the blues, having said that Leighton were effectively denied scoring opportunities. At the other end their keeper had an outstanding and with excellent saves in both halves he kept the score down to Two. He was my MoM, followed by our own Jake and Rossi. Hopefully another home tie next round and dare we contemplate a run in the cup and more prize money. Plenty of “would be” Cranies in the Leighton team. Not the best but a win anyway.

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Reply #11 - 8th Sep, 2019 at 11:59pm

Match report from the EDP.....

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/lowestoft-town/lowestoft-town-v-leighton-town-matc...

Well, after such a bright start dare we dream of a long overdue extended run in the competition? 🤔

At best a pessimist is invariably proved correct, at worst he is pleasantly surprised...........😉

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

© Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum 2008 - - Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum Is Sponsored By The Fans

Custom Search