Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum

Views expressed on this forum are most definitely NOT
the views of Lowestoft Town Football Club.

LTFC Website HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
EDP opinion piece (Read 2,677 times)
Tickets
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

GNU Terry Pratchett

EDP opinion piece
31st Mar, 2018 at 11:24am

I have emailed chris.lakey@archant.co.uk giving my response to this good and thought-provoking article.
Thanks to another Lowestoft Town supporter for bringing it to my attention; I don't normally look at the EDP until the weekend when I visit my mother who has the paper delivered daily.
http://www.edp24.co.uk/features/chris-lakey-column-1-5448524

A discussion on Facebook then got me thinking about our encounters about Leyton.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10214248672962997.1073742096.160056351...

I would like to download a backup of all posts on the forum to hold safely. Any advice?

“If people are busy living out myths you don’t like, leave them to it.”
― Samuel R. Delany, Dhalgren

Images by Shirley D Whitlow are posted with the permission of the copyright holder Shirley D Whitlow, who retains full copyright.

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Re: EDP opinion piece
Reply #1 - 31st Mar, 2018 at 2:29pm

I read Chris Lakeys  piece a week ago, shortly after speaking with Gary Keyzor prior to the Burgess Hill game.
It made me smile.

Mr Lakey sets out a familiar hand wringing article, with the benefit of hindsight.

What he says is true, in so far as it goes, but the glaring omission of course is that the concerns he outlined are now historical but were being voiced by some, way back when most fans were 'enjoying the ride'.

I tried to outline a wider perspective to the clubs fortunes and argued that the business model being followed would not serve us well in the long term. The club was wasteful of resources and an acquiescent board/committee were all too ready to support GK and his continued funding of the dream of reaching the Conference. 

Well, we got there after four years of heavy investment that all but exhausted the available funding. It was careless but no more than that.
Carelessness is not a crime but it certainly led us to where we are now.

Any critisism of the clubs direction was viewed as being disloyal and whilst we were winning, all remained ok. But we burnt cash at an alarming rate. It is only now, that other voices have added their concerns that an apathetic fan base have been stirred into action.

I feel like a prisoner suffering Stockholm Syndrome, because frankly the cards are still all held by GK with no obvious candidate ready to pick up the pieces. If as I'm led to believe that no other director has a grasp of what the true position is then we remain in a truly precarious position financially. GK has a asked for more time to prepare the accounts as again, I'm led to believe, they were neglected during the Alan Green chairmanship.

Until such time as the next Supporters Meeting is called we will remain unaware of just what the true position is.......perhaps it behoves the supporters to come up with some concrete proposals as to a way forward.

My views are well known but have received little support from an otherwise apathetic fan base.

If the club is to thrive once more then it will take a collective effort from all involved to pursue a more sustainable path for the future.

At best a pessimist is invariably proved correct, at worst he is pleasantly surprised...........😉

IP Logged

Tickets
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

GNU Terry Pratchett

Reply #2 - 31st Mar, 2018 at 7:06pm

I dare say that if the accounts are ever produced we will find out the extent of our indebtedness to "benefactors". I reckon that'll be just after the exciting news of a new stadium in Gisleham or Carlton is released and any Directors Loan account moneys have been repaid.
I hope I am proved wrong.
I'm not so much suffering from Stockholm Syndrome as I play the part of Uncle Tom.

Images by Shirley D Whitlow are posted with the permission of the copyright holder Shirley D Whitlow, who retains full copyright.

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Reply #3 - 31st Mar, 2018 at 7:08pm

Tickets wrote on 31st Mar, 2018 at 7:06pm:
I reckon that'll be just after the exciting news of a new stadium in Gisleham or Carlton is released and any Directors Loan account moneys have been repaid.

I hope I am proved wrong.

Would you care to clarify Tickets ?

At best a pessimist is invariably proved correct, at worst he is pleasantly surprised...........😉

IP Logged

Tickets
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

GNU Terry Pratchett

Reply #4 - 31st Mar, 2018 at 7:15pm

Mere rumour, unsubstantiated of course, that
1) land has been made available or is held on an option to buy  in Carlton off the Beccles Road
or/and
2) that land is available behind the Gisleham industrial estate between Gisleham and Carlton. 10 acres?
These could be the same rumour.
https://goo.gl/maps/tywh1iJ2qVT2

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Reply #5 - 31st Mar, 2018 at 7:32pm

As you say, mere rumour and unsubstantiated.

I've heard similar and it's hardly surprising that the directors wouldn't fully explore every avenue to keep the club alive. If there's land available then expect developers to show an interest.

Much would rest on the valuation of those parts of the Meadow premises, currently in the clubs ownership.

Those guesses range from hundreds of thousands to a very speculative £2m and northwards.

However, I simply asked the question as to which part would you hope to be proved wrong about.

IP Logged

Tickets
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

GNU Terry Pratchett

Reply #6 - 31st Mar, 2018 at 7:45pm

Aah, I see. I hope to be proved wrong about the extent of our indebtedness to "benefactors".

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Reply #7 - 31st Mar, 2018 at 7:53pm

Tickets wrote on 31st Mar, 2018 at 7:45pm:
Aah, I see. I hope to be proved wrong about the extent of our indebtedness to "benefactors".

There's the rub.

Would the sale of the asset generate enough funds to cover both a 'New' Meadow and repayment of any loans.

What is the latest valuation of Crown Meadow. Any ideas?

IP Logged

Tickets
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

GNU Terry Pratchett

Reply #8 - 31st Mar, 2018 at 8:06pm

Not a clue. I've heard £2 million. With outline planning permission for housing.
Seems reasonable based on property values in the area
https://www.primelocation.com/new-homes/details/42693947?utm_source=newsnow&utm_...

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Reply #9 - 31st Mar, 2018 at 8:12pm

To satisfy both parties I would be bound to say that anything less than £2m/£2.5m, wouldn't be enough.

I'm sure negotiations with various parties are currently ongoing.

Obviously until such time as all avenues have been explored I wouldn't expect a statement from the board or even less a meeting of the fans.

The constitution of the club would still remain to be determined then 🤔

IP Logged

Tickets
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

GNU Terry Pratchett

Reply #10 - 31st Mar, 2018 at 8:24pm

Based on the land value given above for nearby Sussex Street, and Crown Meadow being 17 times the size (and with far better access), £2,125,000 would be a minimum. This does include the social club and car park.
Constitution of the Club? I think that all went out of the window when the Club and land was given over to the Directors :/ It's a non-profit football club just as Academies are non-profit schools...

IP Logged

charlie572

Come On The Blues

Reply #11 - 1st Apr, 2018 at 10:25am

I cant see you getting much for the meadow unless they take the clubhouse back, who would buy land for housing if you have no access, its only worth anything to whoever has the clubhouse, and   the land behind the carlton crown opposite rookery is earmarked for leisure only

IP Logged

the ressurected

Come On The Blues

Reply #12 - 1st Apr, 2018 at 12:02pm

Barking and tree springs to mind

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #13 - 1st Apr, 2018 at 5:55pm

charlie572 wrote on 1st Apr, 2018 at 10:25am:
the land behind the carlton crown opposite rookery is earmarked for leisure only

Coincidentally I found the Final draft of the local plan is up for public consultation; A period for the submission of representations runs from Thursday 29 March to 5pm Thursday 24 May 2018.

Hopefully this link works and anchors to the correct bit of the page (Oakes Farm Carlton Colville); http://consult.waveney.gov.uk/consult.ti/waveneyfinaldraftlocalplan2018/viewComp...

http://www.eastsuffolk.gov.uk/planning/local-plans/waveney-local-plan/new-wavene...

HƎ∀ΛƎN

IP Logged

Tickets
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

GNU Terry Pratchett

Reply #14 - 1st Apr, 2018 at 6:03pm

In the absence of knowledge we create stories and tell them to each other. We weave our security blankets from these shared tales while waiting for facts to appear and unravel them.
But then good stories don't have to be true to make me dream.  Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

© Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum 2008 - - Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum Is Sponsored By The Fans

Custom Search