Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum

Views expressed on this forum are most definitely NOT
the views of Lowestoft Town Football Club.

LTFC Website HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tonbridge Angels (A) 6/1/2018 (Read 3,902 times)
Ronsdog
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Tonbridge Angels (A) 6/1/2018
2nd Jan, 2018 at 5:10pm

An away fixture at Tonbridge will always remind me of the classic Play Off Final of 2011.
Of course it ended in an heroic defeat but it will always remain in the memory as one of the finest games of football I have ever witnessed...https://youtu.be/R2lmcJCP5aw

Longmead was also the venue for a magnificent comeback from 3-0 down to secure a point in the 3-3 thriller earlier in that same season. That's the best we've ever managed against the Kent outfit.
Should we manage to escape with a point this time around then it would be considered a great result for the lads.

In our previous five encounters against the Angels we have managed two draws and three defeats. I fear history may well repeat itself this coming Saturday. Our last visit saw us lose out to the only goal of the game and in all honesty I can't see us bettering that result with our current depleted squad......http://www.lowestofttownfcfansforum.co.uk/cgi-bin/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1485280766/1...

Whilst we were picking up a point at Worthing, Tonbridge travelled to our New Years Day conquerors Brightlingsea, and ran them ragged winning 3-0.
Their New Years Day home fixture v Billericay was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch but with strong winds forecast for the next couple of days I would not expect our match to fall foul of the weather.

The Angels currently sit in 10th place on 37pts whilst we are in 16th on 29pts.
Both of us having played 25 games.

The much travelled Xavier Vidal is likely to feature for the home side and he will doubtless provide the ammunition for Akrofi and Elder to feed on as they did last time out at Longmead......https://youtu.be/7fjFiI9oIcw

A point would be a good result for us and a clean sheet a bonus.
Frankly though, this one has home banker stamped on it.
See you all there 👍
« Last Edit: 3rd Jan, 2018 at 1:25am by Ronsdog »  

At best a pessimist is invariably proved correct, at worst he is pleasantly surprised...........😉

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Re: Tonbridge Angels (A) 6/1/2018
Reply #1 - 4th Jan, 2018 at 4:04pm

At best a pessimist is invariably proved correct, at worst he is pleasantly surprised...........😉

IP Logged

Plumstead Blue
Forum Admin

A Professional (small
minded) Idiot

Reply #2 - 4th Jan, 2018 at 9:35pm

Ronsdog wrote on 4th Jan, 2018 at 4:04pm:

Your phone is fuxored again - just to let you know that I'll make my way there with the young PB lads and see you at the ground (unless you want a spot of lunch somewhere).

Bell me Saturday morning after 10 to arrange.

“Any fool can use a computer. Many do.”

IP Logged

swallows

Come On The Blues

Reply #3 - 5th Jan, 2018 at 4:48pm

Pitch inspection at tunbridge 08 45 , coach leaves love road 08 30 ???

IP Logged

swallows

Come On The Blues

Reply #4 - 5th Jan, 2018 at 5:00pm

Ooops  my mistake we leave at 09.00

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #5 - 5th Jan, 2018 at 6:20pm

HƎ∀ΛƎN

IP Logged

Tickets
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

GNU Terry Pratchett

Reply #6 - 5th Jan, 2018 at 6:32pm

I don't think we'll be there in any case as Shirley has been off work unwell today (a very rare event) and I think it would be unwise for her to travel, even with me driving.
I may be over-ruled  Undecided

“If people are busy living out myths you don’t like, leave them to it.”
― Samuel R. Delany, Dhalgren

Images by Shirley D Whitlow are posted with the permission of the copyright holder Shirley D Whitlow, who retains full copyright.

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #7 - 6th Jan, 2018 at 8:12am

Match on;

Match on; http://www.tonbridgeangelsonline.co.uk/teams/37863/news/angels-v-lowestoft-town-...

Well done to all those ground staff at Tonbridge for work their hard work during the week

HƎ∀ΛƎN

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #8 - 6th Jan, 2018 at 3:35pm

Link to match commentary; http://media3.susyradio.com:8000/botn

HƎ∀ΛƎN

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #9 - 6th Jan, 2018 at 4:02pm

FT Tonbridge Angels 2-2 Lowestoft Town. ATT: 438

After going 2-0 down in the first 12 minutes, town pull level with goals from Hodd on the stroke of half time and Cotton in the second half. A great comeback by town who obviously didn't let their heads drop after going 2 down so quickly. Superb stuff!!

Safe journey home to everyone who went.

Match centre; https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/isthmian-football-league-premier-divisi...

HƎ∀ΛƎN

IP Logged

Uncle Albert

LTFC Supporter

Reply #10 - 6th Jan, 2018 at 5:27pm

Well done Blues, to come back from two early goals and earn a creditable draw against a quality team is exceptionable. But How can the core, faithful fans be subjected to two dire home performances and not be privy to the away performances. If we are to survive then the lads need to be performing at home to encourage an increase in home gates.

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #11 - 6th Jan, 2018 at 5:43pm

Interesting comments from Dale Brooks in the EDP before todays game regarding the recent run of home results;

Lowestoft Town boss Dale Brooks insists his side haven’t got a mental problem at home despite seeing his side start the year with another defeat at the Amber Dew Events Stadium.

The Trawlerboys have lost their last two at home in disappointing fashion as they followed up defeat to Harlow with a 2-1 reverse against Brightlingsea. The Blues at least took four points away from home over the festive period but manager Dale Brooks is determined to start showing some winning form in front of their own fans.

“It’s a shame because I would have loved to have got a home win,” said Brooks. “We really want to bring the fans back to the Amber Dew Stadium and we need to start winning to do that.

“I don’t think there’s any mental problem at home - it’s just the way it has gone."

More;

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/lowestoft-town/tonbridge-angels-v-lowestoft-town-pr...

HƎ∀ΛƎN

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Reply #12 - 6th Jan, 2018 at 8:35pm

Isn't it odd how fortunes can turn in a matter of minutes in sporting contests.
We witnessed such a dramatic change at Longmead today, driven by confidence and belief and a fortuitous change in personnel.

It looked so bleak with barely a quarter hour gone and having shipped two. The couple of dozen awaysters in attendance were taking bets on just how many the Angels might end up with.

From a side looking likely to be on the end of a hammering we transformed ourselves into a footballing outfit that swept forward and looked as though we might score with every attack.

We conceded as early as the third minute when Dudzinski was given no cover and forced into bringing down an on rushing Angel. A yellow card for the away keeper, and  a penalty awarded and duly despatched by that man Vidal, suggested that there might be worse to come. It did some ten minutes later, when again the home side carved us open and Turner calmly slotted home. 2-0 12 minutes.

The assault on our goal continued as we were overrun in midfield and when we did gain possession we resorted to the hoof. It wasn't until well after the half hour that we discovered any rhythm and that was due to the introduction of Zielonka who replaced Humphrey. The loanee retired hurt after a nasty clash of heads that saw the game held up for some five minutes. Hopefully the lad has recovered but it seemed to be a bad concussion that he suffered.

The hold up gave us both respite and an opportunity to regroup and take the game back from a home side that looked well in control. Whatever Brooksy said had the desired effect as both Fisk and Hodd upped their game and provided some support for another makeshift back line. We began to stem the tide and push forward positively.
Hodd  showed some good first touches linking well with both Reed and Foy and was rewarded a minute into the 8 injury time minutes firing home after a good build up involving five players!

The second half saw more of the same. We dominated the first 25 minutes winning corner after corner. Sadly our delivery from these set pieces was poor. Cotton needs to work on his crossing as none of his efforts cleared the first defender. Thankfully Zielonka was on hand to take over. His crossing into the box from both free kicks and corners kept the Angels hemmed in and they struggled to get back into the game.

Lowestoft were playing football with fluidity and movement. Hodd in particular began to look on top of his game, winning the ball and using it to good effect. Fisk snapped into tackles and won his fair share. But it was the goalscorer that became the provider, to cap a MOTM performance, when his slanted pass saw Cotton, in space, stab home through a sea of legs. 2-2 73 minutes. Game on.

The Angels began to wilt under the constant white assault and their keeper pulled off a  great save to palm away a Cole effort. A cameo performance from Nathan Elder briefly put Lowestoft under pressure but with Smith and Barker each taking one for the team we defended stoutly and saw out the game for a point.

For 60 minutes the team played some football today that was reminiscent of better times. Passing movements to feet and threaded balls for the runners to get on to. If we can repeat this level of performance at home for 90 minutes then we will win not only games but also bring back those lost fans that want entertainment.

Well done all 👍 including Bill who scooped the BOTG sweep with a shout of two!

I'm off in search of winter sun shortly but fear not Bill, The Tommy Henderson Quid, I owe you will be forthcoming upon my return😄

As our hosts saw it.....http://www.tonbridgeangelsonline.co.uk/teams/37863/match-centre/1-2865183

The Bostick team and cameras were in evidence today so expect the highlights shortly.
« Last Edit: 6th Jan, 2018 at 10:18pm by Ronsdog »  

IP Logged

Plumstead Blue
Forum Admin

A Professional (small
minded) Idiot

Reply #13 - 6th Jan, 2018 at 9:16pm

It fills me with festive glee that today was possibly the best performance I've seen us put in for many a year. We were utterly shambolic for the opening 15 minutes and were 2-0 down and facing a drubbing, only for an unfortunate injury to Humphreys and the introduction of Zielonka at Right Back to change the complexion of the match. We actually looked a decent side...and with that I'm going to do some player ratings.

Dudzinski - 5 - Gave away a penalty in the opening minutes when scything down a Tonbridge player in the box with a mistimed tackle with his legs. Could maybe have dived with his hands and was lucky not to be shown a red. Not at fault with the 2nd and had little else to do.

Humphreys - 3 - Was given a torrid time early in the match and was exposed several times. Was clearly at fault for the 2nd TA goal as he inexplicably let a long ball bounce and the forward skinned hime and it was 2-0 with the resulting shot. Went off with a nasty looking injury half an hour into the match after a clash of heads.

Smith - 6 - Solid enough, but was guilty of an aimless hoof down the line to no one. One of his better performances after a few 'dodgy' showings of late.

Fisk - 8 - Take a bow Fisky. Right in the mix and up for the battle. Imposed himself and got stuck into that lot all match. If we had 11 Fiskies in the side we would be promotion material. His best match of the season (and no customary yellow).

Cole - 8 - Outstanding performance from the lad. Wore the armband and this is where it should stay. Won every defensive header in an outstanding rearguard performance and was only thwarted by a stunning save by the TA keeper for a wonder goal from a header from 12 yards out.

Barker - 7 - Played central defence and was posted missing the opening 15 minutes. Got into the game once #12 (Zielonka) came onto the pitch. A good 2nd half and ventured forward more often. A damned good effort.

Hodd - 9 - Outfuckinstanding - A more committed performance will be difficult to find in the archives of my 10 year tenure following the club. Worked his socks-off and won every 50/50. A real threat and was the creator of our first goal with a wonder pass to Nico. More of the same, PLEASE!

Cotton - 8 - Two fantastic finishes and some great play throughout the match - some outrageous and infuriatingly poor deliveries from dead-ball situations dented the mark. Note to Dale: Don't let him anywhere near a corner ever again.

Reed - 6.5 - Some great play as a 'lone' forward. Put in a proper shift and should have scored midway through the 1st half while sliding in on goal. Almost scored with an amazing scissor kick just on the stroke of HT in a move Barca would have been proud of. Brilliant throughout.

Foy - 4 - Sorry. An impostor. Get rid.

Bammant - 6 - Would have marked him as a 5 - but what a downward header for Nico's equaliser. For a 'big lad' he doesn't really impose himself enough...but this was one of his better performances.

Sub

Zielonka - 8 - A nasty injury to Humphreys saw Jacek brought on as a right back. This changed the game and what an outlet he was pushing forward at every opportunity and picking and receiving some outstanding passes. After Nico fluffed numerous dead-ball kicks, he delivered time and time again and warrants a starting berth every match. He was guilty of giving the ball with errant passes.

Manager

Brooks - 9 - Dale, "You can only piss with the cock your given" is a wee Linlithgow proverb, and fuck me, today you surpassed anything I've seen for many a season. Ignoring the opening 15 minutes, that last 75 was as good as we've ever played - against Tonbridge (not the whipping boys of Tooting or the other dross). A corner looks to be being turned and give yourself a congratulatory pat-on-the-back. I enjoyed that today, and I can't recall when I last typed those words.

That felt like a victory...and it was.

“Any fool can use a computer. Many do.”

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #14 - 7th Jan, 2018 at 12:06pm

Some good well balanced match highlights from Back of the Net, a shame we didn't sneak a win! Thank you all for the reports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt3K_ZQpnlM

HƎ∀ΛƎN

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

© Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum 2008 - - Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum Is Sponsored By The Fans

Custom Search