Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum

Views expressed on this forum are most definitely NOT
the views of Lowestoft Town Football Club.

LTFC Website HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Margate (H) 18/11/2017 (Read 1,201 times)
Jimbo
Topic Starter Topic Starter

Lowestoft
Margate (H) 18/11/2017
16th Nov, 2017 at 9:28pm

This Saturday sees Margate make a return after a gap of several seasons when each team made its own ways into the step 2 leagues. Cant find off the top of my head when we actually last played each other but I seem to remember mixed results including a 4-0 win one season? Whatever, thats a long time ago now in football terms, both teams going through plenty of change in between as you'd expect.

Our visitors currently sit 9th ahead of 15th placed town and in the league, their last 6 have seen 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats.

The town defence will have to be on their guard against the likes of Frannie Collin and Jordan Chiedozie if they are looking to bounce back after a miserable trip to Thurrock ended in a 3-0 defeat.

Not sure what to expect from this game, will we see a return to the battling display we saw against Merstham? Lets hope so.

Come on you blues!!

IP Logged

Plumstead Blue
Forum Admin

A Professional (small
minded) Idiot

Re: Margate (H) 18/11/2017
Reply #1 - 16th Nov, 2017 at 9:57pm

7/4 Margate - I'll happily wager a couple of hundred at that price on the back of what I witnessed on Tuesday,

I'd even back the ball-boys to win by the odd goal (all 6 of them).

“Any fool can use a computer. Many do.”

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Reply #2 - 16th Nov, 2017 at 11:23pm

The last time we hosted Margate at the AD Meadow we ran out 3-0 winners, in the promotion winning season 2013/14 season.....Terry's report
http://www.lowestofttownfc.co.uk/teams/50851/match-centre/1-794882

Previous encounters at the Meadow saw us triumph 2-1 and 1-0.
http://www.lowestofttownfc.co.uk/teams/50851/match-centre/1-533942

http://www.lowestofttownfc.co.uk/teams/50851/match-centre/1-330840

A 100% home record; I would hope that the trend continues on Saturday.

I am bound to say though, that this is not the strongest squad we have ever had and coming after a hectic run of games, 4 in ten days, I would settle for a draw if offered.

At best a pessimist is invariably proved correct, at worst he is pleasantly surprised...........😉

IP Logged

Tickets
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

GNU Terry Pratchett

Reply #3 - 17th Nov, 2017 at 4:30am

I'd settle for a draw if it's as entertaining as the Merstham match, but I'd far rather have entertainment and 3 points Smiley

“If people are busy living out myths you don’t like, leave them to it.”
― Samuel R. Delany, Dhalgren

Images by Shirley D Whitlow are posted with the permission of the copyright holder Shirley D Whitlow, who retains full copyright.

IP Logged

Plumstead Blue
Forum Admin

A Professional (small
minded) Idiot

Reply #4 - 17th Nov, 2017 at 3:49pm

For those unaware, Zielonka is suspended for this match and Smith may well return to left-back. He didn't travel on Tuesday to Thurrock in an attempt to get him fit for tomorrow.

If no Smith, then we will be really weak in the left full-back/left midfield areas. It's anyone's guess who will fit that role(s).

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #5 - 18th Nov, 2017 at 8:54am

Tough times ahead for Blues but new chief is ready to steady the ship

Lowestoft Town boss Dale Brooks admitted there could be some “tough times” ahead but is confident he can keep the Blues out of trouble.

“We have to be prepared for some tough times,” said the former Southend Under-21s, who took over from Ady Gallagher last month. “We might have days like Thurrock but we’ve got to try and have more days like Merstham.

EDP preview; http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/lowestoft-town/lowestoft-town-chief-calls-for-patie...

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Reply #6 - 18th Nov, 2017 at 4:47pm

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/isthmian-football-league-premier-divisi...

It was painful following today's game on Twitter.

A 2-0 defeat with two sent off and an attendance of less than 400 suggests that there is still much to do to lift spirits around the club.

Will await reports from those in attendance to glean any positives. Sad

At best a pessimist is invariably proved correct, at worst he is pleasantly surprised...........😉

IP Logged

Plumstead Blue
Forum Admin

A Professional (small
minded) Idiot

Reply #7 - 18th Nov, 2017 at 7:17pm

Ronsdog wrote on 18th Nov, 2017 at 4:47pm:
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/isthmian-football-league-premier-divisi...

It was painful following today's game on Twitter.

A 2-0 defeat with two sent off and an attendance of less than 400 suggests that there is still much to do to lift spirits around the club.

Will await reports from those in attendance to glean any positives. Sad

I trousered a nice wee wad - if that qualifies as a positive  Smiley

IP Logged

Tickets
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

GNU Terry Pratchett

Reply #8 - 18th Nov, 2017 at 9:29pm

Shirley's photos sent to the press in a format I am trialling.

Apologies for the watermark but it seems there are companies happy to take images without permission.

https://view.joomag.com/my-first-magazine/M0680349001511036840

“If people are busy living out myths you don’t like, leave them to it.”
― Samuel R. Delany, Dhalgren

Images by Shirley D Whitlow are posted with the permission of the copyright holder Shirley D Whitlow, who retains full copyright.

IP Logged

Bob.Secret

Come On The Blues

Reply #9 - 18th Nov, 2017 at 9:44pm

I was under the belief that FIFA had relaxed the "triple punishment" of the last defender conceding a penalty resulting in an additional sending off and automatic suspension - does the same not "adhere" in the Bostik - either way it's no glue or no clue !!!

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #10 - 19th Nov, 2017 at 9:10am

An even first half was then followed by a pretty uneven second half, overall any respect the ref had earned in the first was lost in the second when time and time again he fell for the constant diving and subsequent whinging from certain Margate players.

First half Margate had the best of the chances, we were solid at the back for long periods of time, going forward we had our chances but couldn't find the target with a number of shots going just wide. Matty Foy had a good first game and was brought off near the end of the second half to i guess rest up before Tuesdays game.

In the second half town went from 11 to 9 men, First Reed rather harshly sent off after winning a free kick a crunching tackle, reacting by throwing the ball at the Margate player, striking him in the chest, who in turn reacted as if he'd received a right hook from Mike Tyson, which the referee fell for. It was never in reality anything more than a yellow.

Later on in the second half, Travis bravely tried to go in for a tackle but from where I was standing it was clear the Margate attacker was more interested in winning the penalty and lent into him and went over rolling over Travis' shins, yes you guessed it, referee was taken in once more. So down to 9 men by the end and that still included Fisk!

The introduction of Bammant late on in the second half had a positive effect, introducing a bit of height and strength going forward despite not being a full fitness. All game we did miss the creative presence of the suspended Jaczek and the pace of Cruise. Hopefully there will be some good news on the player front this week, as we need it for the mid field, It was mentioned by Dale that Callum White is relocating so will be unable to continue playing for us, a shame as today I thought he had a reasonably good game! Good luck Callum.

A game spoiled by the antics of the visitors, they in fairness were a strong, pacey and well drilled team but no need for their cringey theatrics...

IP Logged

Blueblood

I deal in facts, not fiction!

Lowestoft
Reply #11 - 19th Nov, 2017 at 9:52am

Team (3-5-2):-
Dudzinski
Barker, McAuley, Cole
White, Fisk, Borer, Jarvis, Smith
Reed, Foy
Subs used: Bammant for Jarvis (73 mins), Greenleaf for Foy (80 mins)
Subs not used: Hodd, Wren, Putnins

This was a rather odd match in a few ways, as in parts we played well but we also found it hard at times against one of the best organised and well drilled sides I’ve seen so far. Adding into that a referee who allowed a few too many things to go unpunished early on and paid the price for that later in the match, when losing control of the game and the players.

The first 25 minutes of the match were pretty entertaining and Lowestoft were knocking the ball around well and using width, mainly with the well combining White and Barker down the right. The Margate keeper looked like he was carrying a few extra pounds but was excellent throughout and made the first of three good stops throughout the match to thwart the blues.
Unfortunately after those first 25 minutes the game then lost its way a bit, becoming scrappy and rather flat. This saw Margate enjoy a bit more possession and as the half went on they were getting into the game more and more, with the number 7 (Haysman) in particular popping up all over and causing Smith no end of problems with his pace and quality down the right.
Lowestoft were defending fairly well though but that was all undone when a block on the line by Jarvis led to a scramble in the area and that man, Haysman was at hand to find the net in a very crowded penalty area for the lead, five minutes before half-time.

The second half saw Lowestoft in the main playing a little too deep and narrow, and along with it making some tired passes. While Margate continued to grow and look good in possession. They were also especially impressive in defence, where they were solid and making it very hard for Lowestoft to penetrate either aerially or on the deck.
With just one goal in it though, Lowestoft were still in the game but this was undone by Reed getting sent off in the 68th minute, in a decision that spilt opinions between Lowestoft supporters. Following a free-kick being given against Reed, he got up and threw the ball at the players face but with very little force; despite the player putting in a great Oscar performance and going down like he’d been hit by George Foreman. The referee deliberated for a few moments before showing Reed the red card, for an offense which in my opinion only warranted a booking. By all accounts the rules for when an offence takes place where an object (or the ball) is thrown are; if reckless – caution the offender for unsporting behaviour or if excessive force was used – send off the offender for violent conduct. As I said, this spilt opinions but I thought it was very harsh.
Either way that then made the task an even stiffer one for Lowestoft but to their credit they were still having a go and came close on a couple of occasions, with a Smith free-kick fractionally going wide and the visiting keeper making another good save. Maybe Lowestoft could steal a point but with a further ten minutes on the board following the dismissal of Reed, another big decision came that well and truly killed the game, as Cole received his marching orders. Cole was the last man and did take the player down, so no qualms with that or the penalty decision but am I right or wrong in thinking a rule change has been made so that teams don’t get a three-fold punishment in that situation by having a player sent off for the remainder of the match, a suspension for future matches and a penalty against them?
The penalty was scored and that was effectively that for Lowestoft.

Was the result a fair one? Yes, I think it was overall but if not for a three good saves to deny Lowestoft, the game and result could have been different. Especially if Reed had of only been given a booking.
Some will be overly negative about the result/performance but I thought we did well in spells and created enough chances to effect the score-line (some just wide, others saved well by the keeper). It was also a very well organised and solid side that we faced, who for me look good for grabbing a play-off place on that showing.

The concern for Lowestoft now, will be losing two of their key players to suspension for up and coming matches. It could be a few tough weeks but personally I’m still seeing signs of improvement in our players and tactics, to not be overly concerned at present. I’m still sticking with my start of the season predication that we will yet again finish mid table. Injuries and who we can get in will be key to that though. The new lad on loan looked good and very mobile but along with Reed, found it tough against a very impressive centre-back pairing.

Bring on Tuesday, which could be interesting. Some tired legs for Lowestoft against Leatherhead who may be feeling the after effects of their FA Cup heroics.

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #12 - 19th Nov, 2017 at 1:48pm

Dale Brooks interview on radio Suffolk;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05l17wn

From 30m:25s

IP Logged

Blueblood

Lowestoft
Reply #13 - 19th Nov, 2017 at 5:09pm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

© Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum 2008 - - Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum Is Sponsored By The Fans

Custom Search