Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum

Views expressed on this forum are most definitely NOT
the views of Lowestoft Town Football Club.

LTFC Website HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kings Lynn splash the cash (Read 620 times)
Blueblood
Topic Starter Topic Starter

I deal in facts, not fiction!

Lowestoft
Kings Lynn splash the cash
9th Oct, 2017 at 2:02pm

It looks like Glenn Tamplin isn't the only local crook to splash his dirty money. Stephen Cleeves is now at it at Kings Lynn, following the large salary signing of manager Culverhouse, they've now brought into the playing squad both Grant Holt and Simon Lappin.

Kerching!!!

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/king-s-lynn-town-swoop-for-former-norwich-cit...

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Re: Kings Lynn splash the cash
Reply #1 - 9th Oct, 2017 at 3:07pm

Local crook.....dirty money?
That's a bit strong BB.

Didn't we embark on such a spree when a certain Mr Craig Fleming was recruited to the Blues management team?

http://www.lowestofttownfcfansforum.co.uk/cgi-bin/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1487784803

What goes around comes around, and I take a philosophical view of such happenings. I have never been in favour of such moves and my concerns were voiced on this forum at the way we splurged cash in an attempt to both attain and subsequently retain our Conference status.

Such unsustainable moves invariably end in the decline of the club when the cash either runs out or moves on. Lowestofts current position more than proves that point.

I'm aware of your close relationship with our recently departed Chairman, and I would have thought that as a result, you too might have taken a more rounded view of such moves.
I didn't hear such comments when we were raiding Lynn for their better players or when another Holt joined our playing/coaching staff.

Your comments smack of sour grapes to me.

Will you be making the trip to Tamplin Towers next week when we can further this discussion?† Smiley

At best a pessimist is invariably proved correct, at worst he is pleasantly surprised...........😉

IP Logged

Blueblood

Lowestoft
Reply #2 - 9th Oct, 2017 at 5:31pm

Surely you're winding me up Ronsdog  Grin Grin

Comparing our past spending exploits with these two signings and/or what's going on at Billericay. I wish.....actually no I don't.

My words 'crook' and 'dirty money' were the words many were using (lynn fans included) when this guy took over. He has a very interesting and chequered past from what I remember seeing at the time; in terms of his businesses and his personal exploits. Which is why I've compared him with Mr Tamplin.

I don't think we've ever had a spending spree to that degree, as you put it and I certainly can't remember us 'raiding' Kings Lynn. We signed Sam Gaughran and Jack Defty from them over different periods but can't think of any more or a period of raiding them. You'll have to jog my memory.

I'm also not aware of us splurging cash to maintain our conference status at the time. We were forced to spend money that we didn't really have on required ground improvements but if anything that's when the cuts started and needed to happen. Therefore resulting in our eventually relegation on the back of that realisation and the tough but rebuilding period we see ourselves in now. If anything Lowestoft have lived within their means and have had to step back as a result, instead of ploughing forward and taking on potential debts. What we did is a million miles from Billericay, Whitehawk and what looks like starting to happen at Kings Lynn.

In regards to Holt. He was a player when we won promotion from the Ryman North and I would guess was hardly a big money signing in any shape or form compared to these Kings Lynn signings.

You couldn't be further from the truth with your 'sour grapes' statement. I'd love someone to come into the club with money and to grown the club in a suistainable and sensible fashion but if anyone came in and did it in an irresponsible way (extreme wages, etc) such as Tamplin and others have done; I would rapidly take my support elsewhere.

I won't be at Tamplin Towers, as it would be tricky to get there straight from work. Plus I don't really have any interested in seeing his circus performance or putting any money into that idiots pocket.

I start shift work for five weeks shortly, so I doubt I will be on an away trip until December now.

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Reply #3 - 9th Oct, 2017 at 7:20pm

My intention wasn't to wind you up BB but simply to point out that sometimes our views are clouded by different perspectives.
Your comments regarding Mr Cleeve and Mr Tamplin were potentially libellous remarks and I would urge you to choose your words more carefully in the future. For fear of what action they might bring.

I cite three players in particular who put a severe strain on our already stretched playing budget back when we achieved promotion to the Conference.....

Jefferson Louis
Ryan Jarvis
Danny Crow

When Fleming panicked and persuaded the Chairman that we required a 'proven' striker to survive in the Conference he signed Louis. The biggest waste of money that ever pulled on a Blue jersey IMO. Jeffers, was on a reputed £1000 plus £100 a goal at his previous club.
I have no reason to believe that he would join us on a deal that was very much short of those figures. Perhaps you might be in a position to enlighten me if that financial package wasn't the case.
Jarvis stepped down from playing league football and again didn't arrive as a cheap option. His subsequent move to Lynn proved that jouneymen such as he, will always chase the ££££s.
As regards Mr Crow, my info was that he arrived on a package that again stretched our already inflated playing budget......Albeit to assist in developing the youth structure. Well we all know how that ended up. Prior to that Fleming had wasted cash on Araba, Dawkins etc etc......

Moving from a league where the average wages package, was and still is , at least for London clubs where I have contacts, around £200/300 pw, indicates to me that we have splurged cash. You may disagree citing that our geographical position drives our higher than average playing budget at our current level. Again I don't subscribe to that point of view as there are many local players who would gladly pull on the shirt for less. Currently Cruise proves that point. One of the few that did emerge from the youth structure such as it was.

In the past few seasons I have railed against the club haemorrhaging cash and predicted it would end in tears. It almost did. Happily under new custodians we may return to a more sustainable future and begin to produce our own home grown talent.
And scout new available talent from local leagues.

I would point to Burton Albion as a model to follow in the future......a town similar in size to Lowestoft who over the past three decades have risen, from we currently are, through the pyramid by instituting a youth structure that over time produced gems. Engages both the good burghers of the town and fans. And shock horror, even elect those same supporters to the Board. Is this simply too much to hope for or is the will and vision in my home town just not there?

ps.... I should be up to the Meadow for a game in November. Look forward to buying you a beer then and engaging in some more lively debate.† Wink

At best a pessimist is invariably proved correct, at worst he is pleasantly surprised...........😉

IP Logged

Blueblood

Lowestoft
Reply #4 - 9th Oct, 2017 at 8:34pm

Libellous? Haha, give it a rest. Itís nothing compared to articles in the press and business dealings that some have brought to light. Plus my comments are no more libellous than the crap thatís been posted on here for years by certain individuals about LTFC.
It will all catch up with the likes of Tamplin in time. Just wait and see. Itís called Karma!

The three players you mentioned for Lowestoft were probably three of the highest paid players during that period but thatís understandable with the experience they brought to the club. Plus, as you said in Crowís instance he was also being paid to play an integral part in the youth system. Which initially thrived and was going very well until the well documented screwing over of the club at the hands of said player! The management had a budget, as always and decided to spend some of that on higher paid players to bring in the required experience for a level the club and its current players hadnít played at before. At the end of the day, as long as the management remained in budget it was up to them how they spent it to build a squad.
As for the Jefferson Louis rumoured £1000 plus £100 goal bonus; I heard that rumour about him being paid that a week at his previous club but I can guarantee you he wasnít on anywhere near that at Lowestoft..... FACT!

The average wage in the Ryman league (Billericay aside) is pretty much as youíve stated (£200/300 p/w). Some of the younger players will be lower than that and in some cases a highly experienced player may be on slightly more than that. It differs between clubs and obviously depends on that clubs overall playing budget and how the manager chooses to disseminate that money within the squad. Weíve brought in some good local talent of late but itís not always been that easy, as most of the local clubs round here up until now weíre lower down the leagues. So the opportunity to find young players with the required ability or potential was much harder than in the current climate. I think the last couple of season have shown we are trying to get in the best local talent when possible (Barker, Blake-Tracy, Cole, Nyadzayo, etc) but it doesnít always work out and at times some havenít got what it takes for this level despite being great local players (anyone remember Nathan Stones for example or Connor Deeks who had the ability but a poor and still pretty immature mentality).

I donít think youíll find much cash was wasted on Araba and Dawkin during the Fleming era. As Araba was only at the club for a very brief time (a deadline panic buy after Defty broke his leg towards the end of the season) and Dawkin was brought in on loan.

The club havenít haemorrhaged cash over the past 2/3 seasons, theyíve simple just found that finding the money to balance the books was a lot more difficult. Especially with Gary Keyzor not being able to financially input into the club as he had initially. In that respect the club could have chosen to haemorrhage money or rack up debt but didnít and made the required cuts in budgets, etc to act responsibly and keep the club on an even keel. Wether a more sustainable future can be built and more money can be found for the club; time will tell but letís not kid ourselves that running a football club is something easy or a profit making machine. As itís anything but that!

I think weíre also battling with having a club in a town that is very lethargic and pretty poverty ridden in places. The club need the town to be thriving more and vice-versa to see the levels this town and club should be at for its population.

See you in November for a beer!

IP Logged

chinaboyblue

Come On The Blues

Reply #5 - 10th Oct, 2017 at 7:59am

Sorry guys if you only knew what goes on and off the pitch with regards to money being spent.Unless you've been on the board,and know the facts you will never know.One thing is for sure Fleming was the highest person being payed by the club,and as for money for ground inprovements didn't come out of Keyzors pocket neither,it came from myself and terry beamish and we also done all the work with david for free.Spent many days doing it.Without any help or money from any other board members at the time.And what pissers me off after all the hard work we done,not even as much as a THANKYOU. Angry

IP Logged

Blueblood

Lowestoft
Reply #6 - 10th Oct, 2017 at 9:15am

chinaboyblue wrote on 10th Oct, 2017 at 7:59am:
Sorry guys if you only knew what goes on and off the pitch with regards to money being spent.Unless you've been on the board,and know the facts you will never know.One thing is for sure Fleming was the highest person being payed by the club,and as for money for ground inprovements didn't come out of Keyzors pocket neither,it came from myself and terry beamish and we also done all the work with david for free.Spent many days doing it.Without any help or money from any other board members at the time.And what pissers me off after all the hard work we done,not even as much as a THANKYOU. Angry

Thankfully, I do know all the facts as I was on the board myself. Fleming certainly was the highest paid at the club during that period, as most directors of football normally are. Not really sure what the issue is with that though, as it was planned into the budgets.

In regards to ground improvements, yourself and Terry did put in money and a lot of hard work........which myself and many others were and always will be grateful for. However, there were other individuals who helped and there were other areas of ground improvements that did come out of the clubs finances and you know that (floodlight upgrades, concrete on the far side, etc). Not everyone was in a position where they could afford to put money in and some were also unable to put time in through the day, due to running a business or having a full-time job. Yourself, Terry and everyone on the board all played there part in different areas to run and improve the club as best they could. Nobody was better or did any more than anyone else, as it was a team/board effort in varying areas.

I'm pretty sure I remember there being plenty of social media coverage for the hard work and improvements made and plenty of thanks and appreciation off the back of that from within the board and external from the supporters. This was one instance I could find that highlighted the work and effort of manyÖ..

It was highlighted that a lot of effort had gone in when the ground passed its grading

http://www.lowestofttownfc.co.uk/news/lowestoft-town-pass-ground-grading-1409247...

To suggest Keyzor put nothing in from his own pocket is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever read and just shows the pathetic bitterness you have for him. At the time and as was well publicised, the money he was putting into the running of the club had dropped off due to a change in his circumstances and his need to focus more time and money on his business. So he may not have put as much direct time or money into the ground improvements as some but he was certainly doing just as much, if not more in other areas of financing and the running of the club.

Also, wasn't some of the money you put in, in the form of your purchasing for and donating to the club a burger van (the original blue one)? Something the club were very grateful for but something you then out of the blue decided to demand money back for when decided to move abroad. Despite having given no indication to the club or board that you wanted paying for it at some point. You knew only too well that the club couldnít afford to pay for it, so instead the club had no choice but to remove it from use and offer you it back to sell for the money you wanted back. Hence why it disappeared and is still waiting for you to pick it up to this day. What a pointless and spiteful exercise that was and only came about after your self-inflicted removal from the board for unacceptable comments to others on the board and at the club. It was also pretty clear by your comments and chosen language on social media that your lack of respect for supporters, other board members and people within the club was unacceptable. So donít play the whole ĎI did everything for this club and was never thankedí card. You were thanked by many and many were grateful for what you did but your downfall was completely self-inflicted and has just led to a desperate and childish bitterness. I would suggest growing up!

IP Logged

chinaboyblue

Come On The Blues

Reply #7 - 10th Oct, 2017 at 10:25am

You see you don't know what your talking about,lets take the bugger van,when first as you don't know the van was put in for the first year only and all proceeds going to the club,it was then stated after the first year I would get some money back and then leave the van for the club,agreed by all.But as you don't know I left it for 4yrs,ie all proceeds going to the club.you know nothing as also referring to me being childish and need to grow up,is an insult to me and ive now taken this personaly from you.What went on was between me and keyzor only and no one else.Now as a lack of respect for people.your lack of respect for people clearly shows. Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Blueblood

Lowestoft
Reply #8 - 10th Oct, 2017 at 10:52am

chinaboyblue wrote on 10th Oct, 2017 at 10:25am:
You see you don't know what your talking about,lets take the bugger van,when first as you don't know the van was put in for the first year only and all proceeds going to the club,it was then stated after the first year I would get some money back and then leave the van for the club,agreed by all.But as you don't know I left it for 4yrs,ie all proceeds going to the club.you know nothing as also referring to me being childish and need to grow up,is an insult to me and ive now taken this personaly from you.What went on was between me and keyzor only and no one else.Now as a lack of respect for people.your lack of respect for people clearly shows. Angry Angry Angry

I must have missed that particular board meeting then. As I don't remember hearing of that or being asked to agree to that as one of the board members. Can't remember other board members mentioning that, not even when you asked for the money back or the van back. Odd that!

What went on was between you and Keyzor, until you then dragged others and the club into your petulant insults.

I'd be intrigued to hear the explanation of how I have a lack of respect for people?

I would strongly suggest moving on and getting on with your life, Nigel. Life is too short to continue wasting it on being bitter towards others and a club you claim to support or once supported (I'm not sure you do any more). It's really not very appealing to see or hear and what actual gain or satisfaction are you getting from all of this.

Move on!!

IP Logged

chinaboyblue

Come On The Blues

Reply #9 - 10th Oct, 2017 at 11:15am

I now know who you are,one thing I don't like is being called a liar and I dont like being treated as one.Thats a no-no in my book.As for supporting Lowie I will always support them,and in my own mind I know that i helped them out in the best way I can and did,which is a very lot more than most people done.Isnt that right.????? terry.

IP Logged

Blueblood

Lowestoft
Reply #10 - 10th Oct, 2017 at 11:34am

I don't think anyone likes being treated as a liar.........including myself and the lies constantly spread about the club. You certainly did help out Nigel and as I said above, myself and many others were very grateful for what you did in doing so. Despite what we may think of each other on a personal level, I fully respect what you did. Just like I respect everyone who does or did what they could for the club, however big or small that may be.
Some have money they can give, some have time they can give, etc, etc. The help for the club comes in all shapes and forms and without it the club would have struggled even more than has at times.

It was and always will be about working together for the best of the club and should never be about what one person has done compared to another or it being viewed as a personal vanity project. Much like we're seeing at Billericay.

It's about being a team on and off the pitch.

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Reply #11 - 10th Oct, 2017 at 8:51pm

Anyways, aside from all that history, which in itself was most entertaining, can anyone honestly see two washed up ex-Budgies setting the SPL on fire?

I have serious doubts, aside from the short term marketing aspects, about deals of this nature.

FFS their combined age exceeds even most of our own OAP faithful. I trust Lynn have an adequate stock of crutches and mobility scooters........😂😂😂

IP Logged

Blueblood

Lowestoft
Reply #12 - 11th Oct, 2017 at 9:29am

If they're fit and in shape (no reason why they shouldn't be) then at 34 and 36, I'm sure they will offer something at this level. It's surely only a short term thing and a marketing ploy to get more through the gate though. As I think the level above that would possibly reduce their effectiveness.

Time will tell if they prove to be cost effective!

IP Logged

charlie572

Come On The Blues

Reply #13 - 11th Oct, 2017 at 12:57pm

they more than doubled the gate last night, not a bad start

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

© Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum 2008 - - Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum Is Sponsored By The Fans

Custom Search