Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum

Views expressed on this forum are most definitely NOT
the views of Lowestoft Town Football Club.

LTFC Website HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kingstonian (A) 9/9/17 (Read 976 times)
Ronsdog
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Kingstonian (A) 9/9/17
6th Sep, 2017 at 11:47am

Back to Fetcham Grove on Saturday to take on the tenants Kingstonian.
Our opening day visit to this most convivial of venues saw us lose out to a much changed Levred.

It will be a much changed Kingstonian that we will come up against too.

A new manager, Craig Edwards, the toast of many following the Ks opening day 'upset' at Billericay, https://youtu.be/fB0O0xvrWIc , has assembled a new squad with few retentions from last term.

Edwards will be keen not to repeat the folly of his predecessor, Tommy Williams, on our last visit .....  http://www.lowestofttownfcfansforum.co.uk/cgi-bin/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1481039301/2

The Ks occupy 16th spot in the league with 7 pts. We are 22nd on three.
Their form is patchy at best and they are prone to leak goals, five at Staines and four at home to Levred.

They have yet to win a league game at Fetcham Grove and to date haven't even scored at their new home!!! Ok, so they have only played two, but there is a trend developing.

Their solitary point came in a dour 0-0 v Burgess Hill,
and we are still seeking our first points on the road.
Lewis Taylor has bagged four for them this term, three of them pens !
Both sides struggle to score goals, so should we expect a goal fest?

Our record away v Ks - Won 2 Lost 3

Historically Ks games have been bruising encounters and I wouldn't expect this one to differ too much from the norm. A spirited display with ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️ is now required to build on the Bedford result.

At best a pessimist is invariably proved correct, at worst he is pleasantly surprised...........😉

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Re: Kingstonian (A) 9/9/17
Reply #1 - 8th Sep, 2017 at 12:36am

The Ks manager on the season so far, and a hint or two on changes for Saturday.

http://www.kingstonian.com/news/craig-edwards-interview-1977684.html

Sappleton, the old Billericay striker will be fit and a new midfielder, Evan Green, joins the Ks following his pre season debut in Gibraltar. He figured for the national side midweek v Bosnia.

We may have a couple back too including Bammant. Could it be a winning return for the big man ?

At best a pessimist is invariably proved correct, at worst he is pleasantly surprised...........😉

IP Logged

Plumstead Blue
Forum Admin

A Professional (small
minded) Idiot

Reply #2 - 8th Sep, 2017 at 9:55am

I don't think Craig Edwards has ever managed a side that has gotten the better of Lowestoft - certainly not in his time at Billericay, including the match-fixing 1-4 end of season clash (that he had absolutely no knowledge of).

Edwards is a lout and sets his sides up accordingly. Sappleton is a prime example and is a nasty piece of work. I can pretty much guarantee that this match won't finish XI vs XI - Fisky, I don't think has ever finished a match against this mob. Sent off a couple of times and carted off to hospital on another occasion if memory recalls.

A tough result to call.

“Any fool can use a computer. Many do.”

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #3 - 9th Sep, 2017 at 4:48pm

Full time Kingstonian 3-2 Lowestoft Town.

Details and line-ups; https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/isthmian-football-league-premier-divisi...

Twitter feed; https://twitter.com/LowestoftTownFC

A very frustrating game to lose by the sounds of it, really need to be picking up points in these games if we're to satay a healthy distance from the bottom. Will await the verdicts of those present.

IP Logged

Tickets
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

GNU Terry Pratchett

Reply #4 - 9th Sep, 2017 at 5:07pm

“If people are busy living out myths you don’t like, leave them to it.”
― Samuel R. Delany, Dhalgren

Images by Shirley D Whitlow are posted with the permission of the copyright holder Shirley D Whitlow, who retains full copyright.

IP Logged

Blueblood

I deal in facts, not fiction!

Lowestoft
Reply #5 - 9th Sep, 2017 at 5:29pm

A frustrating and disappointing result today and I don't normally like to be overly critical but today a few mistakes were very costly. They were a very poor side and we could have got something from the game, even with ten men for most of it but we shot ourselves in the foot.

I don't know the reasoning but it was a surprise to see us start with Reed as a lone striker, when both Bammant and Daniels had returned to the squad from injury. There was just too big a gap between him and the midfield in a 4-1-4-1 set-up.
Unfortunately and before any possible change could have been made, a weak knock back my McAuley left Leacock having to stretch for a ball as the last man and what was a certain red card followed. However, that aside you could see why Kingstonian haven't scored many goals and with the exception of a stunning save from Dudzinski, they didn't look too dangerous. A great free-kick from Humphreys looked like we would take an unexpected lead into the break but literally seconds after scoring we conceded the equaliser from close range with plenty of bodies in the box, to go in 1-1 at the break.

To be fair to Lowestoft we made changes at the break by introducing Westlake and moving Cole into midfield. We also came out showing lots of guts and determination. That determination was added to with a stoke of fortune, when a very soft penalty was awarded to Reed. It was well taken and this stroke of fortune was most welcome to see us go 2-1 up.
Kingstonian were a poor side in my opinion but with us being one short, Dudzinski was needed on three occasions in particular second half to keep them out and keep our lead.
However, the real turning point came with the introduction of two subs (Bammant for Lowestoft and Sappelton for Kingstonian). Everyone knows what the huge Sappelton is all about but despite that and even with the height of Bammant to help out at the back, the lump of a player was left unmarked twice in the matter of minutes and a 2-1 lead quickly turned into a 3-2 reverse in the favour of Kingstonian.
It was a bitterly disappointing turn around and one that seemingly could and should have been averted and that's how it stayed until the final whistle.

In summary; our grit in the second half, accompanied with some fortune should have been enough to get something but we shot ourselves in the foot, twice!

I still believe, personally that the team and side will settle and things will improve, as there's still a very long way to go.

However (and I don't like to be critical), there are two players seriously treading water at present and I'm not sure I see that changing with matches or time. I've always been a huge fan of Rossi Jarvis and for many a season he's been one of the first picks on the teamsheet for me but he's manoeuvrability and pace is deeply worrying and is leaving him looking like a shadow of his former self. I hope it's not the case but I'm genuinely concerned about his future and what he can now offer us. I hope I'm wrong and that in time he finds what myself and others have loved about him for many seasons.
The other player is a horrible one to criticise, as he's a young lad still. However, despite his free-kick skills and the ability to put the odd good ball into the box (when he's in those positions); Ollie Humphreys looks way out of his depth as a defender or wing-back at this level and on numerous occasions is exposed in defence and off the pace (waiting for the ball sometimes).

As I said, I never try to be over critical and I still believe things will improve with this squad as a whole but today we were masters of our own downfall.

It's earlier days though and plenty still to play for. Bring on Needham on Tuesday night.

We must keep getting behind this new team and grow together as the season unfolds!

COYB!!

I deal in facts, not fiction!

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Reply #6 - 9th Sep, 2017 at 6:28pm

This was a game that turned on two decisions.
The early sending off of Leacock and the late introduction of Sappleton.

The first fifteen minutes saw both sides slugging it out in midfield but again our lack of pace at the back was our undoing. When McAuley failed to adequately deal with a low cross the ball fell to Collins. In attempting to deal with the threat on goal as Collins shaped up to strike, Leacock stretched out a leg and clipped the Ks No 10.
As last man Leacock had to go. There were no complaints when the red was brandished on 15mins.

We then had to play the better part of 80 mins a man down. No easy task at the best of times. We rarely troubled Tolfrey in the home goal and Dudzinski  was undoubtedly the busier of the two keepers. So it was something of a surprise when we took the lead with a deftly curled free kick from the edge of the box. 35 mins. It was Humphreys only positive contribution all game as he was given the run around all afternoon defensively.

We held the lead for barely a minute when the Ks equalised through Haysman.
It could have been worse as the crossbar came to our rescue only two minutes later. To go in at HT all square was testament to the visitors battling qualities and the Ks poor finishing.

The thought of a second half returning anything for Lowestoft was wishful thinking on the evidence of the first 45, but again the spirit in the side came to the fore. Reed, an isolated figure who chased down lost causes all afternoon, got his reward only three minutes into the second period. The Lowestoft No 9, cut in from the right with a jinking run and was upended inside the penalty area. He picked himself up and fired an unstoppable drive to Tolfreys left 1-2.

We rarely troubled the home keeper after that and began a rearguard action to defend our lead. Bammant replaced a subdued Zielonka on 65 mins but that man Sappleton came back to haunt us again, when he was introduced with barely fifteen mins left.

Our failure to man mark the big man saw saw him nod down a Federico cross for Taylor to put away the chance. 76 mins.
Only two mins later Federico, who gave Humphrey a torrid afternoon, crossed to find again an unmarked Sappleton at the back post to nod home. 3-2. This goal was so preventable and came as a series of our own mistakes. Jarvis giving away possession and Humphrey standing off and not making a tackle allowed the Ks to bear down on us as they had for most of the afternoon. But not to pick up Sappleton was criminal  defending and we got punished.

Dudzinski saved us further embarrassment with a string of late saves, but our reliance on our last man just proved how leaden and short of ideas we are at the moment.
To be fair the Ks could have had five had it not been for our stopper.

Kingstonian looked no better than average but we were well below par and paid the price for having a paceless central defence that fails to mark the obvious predators.

See you all at Needham.

« Last Edit: 9th Sep, 2017 at 7:32pm by Ronsdog »  

IP Logged

Plumstead Blue
Forum Admin

A Professional (small
minded) Idiot

Reply #7 - 9th Sep, 2017 at 7:18pm

Fair comments and I can't really add too much more to what has already been said other than we're a very poor side and awful to watch. Jarvis is actually a liability after 20 minutes and statuesque in the final 20. He's either not fit or is  finished.

We didn't create one chance of note in open play and our only two shots on target (and goals) were a free-kick and a penalty. Jake was my MotM but there was next to bugger all support in close vicinity. The keeper again saved us from a pummeling.

Work in progress it may be, but a corner HAS to be turned soon. The alarm bells are ringing a little louder.

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Reply #8 - 9th Sep, 2017 at 7:26pm

The only bright spot on an otherwise dour day for the team was the Ball oog Count.

My shout of four collared the Tommy Hendos Commenmorative Quid, for the second week running.😎

Looks like it's not only the team that have to sharpen their act up...PB and Tickets take note!😟

IP Logged

Plumstead Blue
Forum Admin

A Professional (small
minded) Idiot

Reply #9 - 9th Sep, 2017 at 7:37pm

Indeed, Ron's - I'm going to work on an algorithm to the velocity and trajectory of hoofs in an attempt to get myself back in the game.

There's seeming a few to be had up at Needham - I'll have a quiet word with my Enfield scouts who were up last season and find out what the spread was back then.

Redbridge for 5.00 to 5.15 on Tuesday.

IP Logged

Tickets
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

GNU Terry Pratchett

Reply #10 - 9th Sep, 2017 at 9:43pm

Refreshing to see honest and detailed criticism on this forum, very positive and shows changes that could be made. Certainly top marks for the afternoon would go to Ricky Sappleton if his work had been marked  Undecided
At times he moved and broke into a walk, but still scored twice. Both good goals, no blame to Dudzinski.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10212647437373108.1073742013.160056351...

“If people are busy living out myths you don’t like, leave them to it.”
― Samuel R. Delany, Dhalgren

Images by Shirley D Whitlow are posted with the permission of the copyright holder Shirley D Whitlow, who retains full copyright.

IP Logged

Ronsdog
Forum Moderator

Exiled Trawlerboy

Plumstead London se18
Reply #11 - 9th Sep, 2017 at 10:40pm

IP Logged

Jimbo

Lowestoft
Reply #12 - 10th Sep, 2017 at 9:47pm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

© Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum 2008 - - Lowestoft Town FC Fans Forum Is Sponsored By The Fans

Custom Search